Sunday, 28 February 2010

Like a ball of yarn, but more awkward

In honour of St David's Day (a total lie, it was mentioned on Something For The Weekend this morning, but it is coincidentally appropriate) I had bought some very lovely yarn from a very lovely company called Colinette, based in Wales. They hand dye about 20 different yarn types in a range of up to 80 colourways, or some ridiculous number around that.  I have already used this website before to purchase some of their newest yarn called ART (a wonderfully soft merino/bamboo blend) but this time I went for Banyan (cotton) and Parisienne (a kid mohair blend).
For those unaware, yarn comes in two formats-a ball (self-explanatory) or a skein, in which the yarn has been wound in a circular method, tied then twisted together on itself to stop it tangling.  These have to be undone and rewound into a ball before you can use them-I have found that out the hard way in the past.  I also had trouble learning the right way to unwind a skein. Cotton and wool are nice smooth fibres so it is not too difficult to transform the skein to the knitter-friendly format. Mohair, on the other hand will tangle with itself faster than you can say dammit Janet so I assumed that the hard work would have been done for me and it would be ready-balled.....WRONG!  I spent an hour yesterday turning 50 piddling grammes of mohair into something workable.  The sad thing is that is pretty good timewise for me, I once spent over four hours having to unknot an incorrectly unwound skein.
Anyways, I show you my before and after handiwork below:

Before-an unwound skein


After-workable yarn

 
With all that effort I may not even bother making anything out of it, it shall stay as a testament to hard work and perseverance

No comments:

Post a Comment